Friday, March 13, 2015

Mother's Love

Sometimes I forget to look in your eyes.
I get distracted by your words, your voice, your actions
I forget that when you yell it's because something doesn't feel right inside.

I am your mother. I ought to notice.
I'm trying to listen to what you haven't learned how to say
I want to give you what you're missing.

You feel things you don't understand
You try to make do with what you can
But sometimes, little girl, it's too much for your little being.

Come close, my love, let me hold you
Cry, I will wipe your tears
Let me see your innocent eyes.

Your smile appears on your face
You feel the comfort of my embrace
You own the love of your mother's heart; you keep it beating.

This is what I live to do
To give and love and protect
I'm here, my child, I'm always here for you.
---
written 2015

3 comments:

  1. ohmyGd wow. it's exquisitely poignant, powerful, and beautiful.

    when I read the first line i wasn't sure if it was gonna be one of those self-recriminating treatises on how you're all human and such; the rest of it took me by surprise.

    but you can see from it why ppl go to all the trouble of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Wow! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an amazing mother!!! you are blessed to have eachother. this is a lovely heartfelt poem!
    thanks for sending it to me. i loved loved loved it! you are a talented and gifted poet!

    ReplyDelete