Wednesday, July 01, 2015

War of Masks, Masks of War

Walls go up 
I can't let you close
I can't let you know
I can't break them down-
I can't break down.

I can't let you see
My tears, my pain
I can't let you touch 
My heart so raw
I can't because I can't because I can't.

I just know what to do
To keep my head up to fight
I can't let the guard down
It'll confuse me
Distort my version of right.

With my mask on 
You wouldn't see me
But then I could tell you
All that you ask about
All that I hold so tight

I can't let you know
I can't let it go
There's no where for it to go
You can't take it away
Anyway

It will stay with me
Keeping me company
In my loneliness, in my tiredness
I'm filled so full, yet with emptiness
So raw, so heavy, for so long.

Slowly I pour it out before you
When I find the courage to tell you
But the fear keeps pulling 
Me back and forth
Today I lost another war.

Today I held back even more
Because the thought of sharing
What hurts so bad
Makes it too real, 
Too taunting, too sad.

I swallow it whole, deep in a hole
Under layers of tears, and tears left unshed
               but I'm not done fighting,
      I need to try again
I'm not done fighting, not until the end.
---
written 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment